Top Ten Ways to Help a Pregnant WomanWednesday, 7 October 2009 8:16 pm by
This post is inspired by a love story. My friend Whitney is 35+ weeks pregnant and getting to that “I’m ready to have this baby already” stage. Her thoughful husband didn’t get her flowers or chocolates, but something much more romantic, in my opinion. Click here to read the whole story.
The moral of the story is, of course, to be creative in helping your pregnant wife/girlfriend/sister/co-worker. Here are some other practical ideas for helping out a mom-to-be who’s in the final weeks of her pregnancy:
1. Bring over a meal, even if it’s just takeout from her favorite restaurant. It will allow her to relax at the end of the day (unless she isn’t the cook in the family anyway, then keep reading! :)).
2. If she has older kids, offer to take care of them for awhile. Don’t just make an vague offer- give her a list of several days or evenings that you’re free.
3. Offer to paint the nursery, so she’s not inhaling icky paint fumes. Better yet, use a VOC-free paint – better for everyone involved!
4. Offer to put together baby gear or furniture – not so easy when your belly is huge and your ankles swell when you stand up too long!
5. Hire a maid service for a one-time house cleaning, or help out yourself if she’ll allow you. Again, the more time she can be off her feet, the better!
6. Ask her how she’s feeling, and let her vent if she wants. Don’t offer solutions unless she asks for them.
7. Talk to her about non-baby/pregnancy/mom things – she might want a break from it all.
8. If she’s overdue, do NOT say things like “you’re still at work?!” or “you haven’t had that thing yet?”! It’s already on her mind, and everyone else is saying this- avoid the temptation!!
9. Take her out for a pedicure, or offer to paint her toenails for her. She may not be able to see her toes well, but it’s nice to have them look good and she definitely can’t do it herself anymore.
10. Tell her she looks great!
What was the nicest thing someone did for you when you were pregnant?